Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

View of mill from North-East.

C 19688

Description View of mill from North-East.

Date 7/9/1993

Catalogue Number C 19688

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 797129

Scope and Content Chimney-stack on keepers' house, Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles This typical chimney-stack with fireclay cans is on the flat roof of one of the keepers' houses at Barra Head Lighthouse, which dates to 1833. Accommodation was provided for the keepers in a single-storeyed building near the lighthouse. By the first decade of the 20th century the keepers were the only people living on Berneray. A keeper generally worked eight hours out of 24. If he was on the day shift, he was responsible for cleaning the windows of the lantern at the top of the tower and for the maintenance of the optic and light. He also had to keep a record of the weather. The keeper on the night shift had to check that the light was functioning properly. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions