Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Aerial view of Beauly Priory, looking N.

DP 343381

Description Aerial view of Beauly Priory, looking N.

Date 22/7/2014

Collection Papers of James Sloan Bone, landscape historian, Inverness, Highland, Scotland

Catalogue Number DP 343381

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This close view focuses on the church of the Valliscaulian monastery, founded c1230 by one of the Bisset family. This is the only building to survive after the Priory fell into disuse at the time of the Reformation. The buildings became a quarry for the construction of other buildings. It is said that some of the stone was taken for the Citadel, built in Inverness by Cromwell's forces in 1652. To its left is the former Roman Catholic Primary School, built 1912 and now operating as a museum and visitor centre. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).

Accession Number 2020/58

External Reference D3264

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/2108664

File Format (JPG) JPEG bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Copyright: NOSAS (James S Bone Collection). Courtesy of HES.

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions