Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of Novar House, near Alness, Easter Ross, looking NE.

DP 341630

Description Oblique aerial view of Novar House, near Alness, Easter Ross, looking NE.

Date 21/1/2009

Collection J S Bone

Catalogue Number DP 341630

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This winter view shows Novar House, its walled garden to the N, and Assynt House to the NW. The lands of the Novar Estate were acquired in 1589 from Sir William Keith of Delny by Neil Munro of Swordale. At the time the Novar lands covered one quarter of the lands known as Fyrish. There is a datestone of 1634 built into the side of the original Novar House, which is now part of the west side of the inner courtyard. The house was enlarged considerably in 1720 with a three-storey building facing south under Hector Munro, 4th of Novar. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).

Accession Number 2020/58

External Reference D1207

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/2103890

File Format (JPG) JPEG bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (James S Bone)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions