Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view of Fort Augustus, looking ENE.

SC 1944451

Description Aerial view of Fort Augustus, looking ENE.

Date 21/8/1999

Collection Papers of James Sloan Bone, landscape historian, Inverness, Highland, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 1944451

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This image centres on the flight of five locks on the Caledonian canal, completed in 1820 which lowers the canal down to the level of Loch Ness, (top of the photo). Between 1890 and 1906 the lock gates were replaced with ones made from oak. The locks were mechanized around the 1960s. At the top end of the flight is Fort Augustus swing bridge, which carries the A82 over the canal. Centre left is the site of the Barracks - Kiliwhimin Fort, built in 1718, now part of the rear court of the Lovat Arms Hotel. Just the W curtain wall survives. It was supersede by Fort Augustus, visible at the top of the photo. There are references on Canmore and HER to Lovat Terrace, the straight line of houses in the foreground, but no detail. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).

Accession Number 2019/15

External Reference S0918


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © NOSAS (James S Bone Collection). Courtesy of HES

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions