Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view of Tarbat Old Parish Church Portmahomack, Tarbat Ness, looking W.

SC 1865092

Description Aerial view of Tarbat Old Parish Church Portmahomack, Tarbat Ness, looking W.

Date 1994

Collection Papers of James Sloan Bone, landscape historian, Inverness, Highland, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 1865092

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Tarbat Old Parish Church was mostly built in 1756 on medieval foundations and now functions as the Tarbat Discovery Centre. It is surrounded by an extensive burial ground. A great number of carved stones and grave slabs have been found in the area surrounding the church and many are now on display within the church. The Old Tarbat Manse lies towards the bottom centre of picture. Between 1995 and 2006 an extensive excavation was undertaken in the church and the area around it and the remains of a Pictish monastery were uncovered. Two of the trenches can be seen in this picture. Tarbat Free Church of Scotland, built in 1892-3, is at centre right. Title and Scope & Content contributed by North of Scotland Archaeological Society (2021).

Accession Number 2019/15

External Reference P10431

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1865092

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (James S Bone)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions