Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

SC 1746934

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 1976

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1746934

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 1460

Scope and Content Fort at Cappuck, Scottish Borders This Roman fort is at Cappuck. It is situated on the E bank of Oxnam Water, and guards the point where Dere Street, the main Roman road from England, crossed the river. The site was occupied several times during the Flavian and Antonine periods. This is an aerial view of the site. The fortlet appears as a series of cropmarks in the middle of the image. One entrance is visible. The defensive ditches of the earlier forts were in-filled so that the later, Antonine, fort could be extended to the W. The site was excavated in 1886, then again in 1911 and 1949. An inscribed stone found during the first excavation shows that part of the fort was built by the Twentieth Legion, probably during the Antonine phase. It is now the Royal Museum of Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1746934

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions