Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view from S.

SC 1688285

Description Aerial view from S.

Date 8/7/1996

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1688285

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 67693 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Arbroath Abbey, Angus This view from the south-south-west, taken in 1996, shows Arbroath Abbey in the centre, with the east, west and south transept gables of the abbey church, and the cloister walk laid out in red gravel. To the left of the cloister is the Abbot's House. On the left is part of the relief road cut through the town in the early 1970s. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was a stated case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1688285

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions