Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial view from SW.

SC 1688284

Description Aerial view from SW.

Date 8/7/1996

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1688284

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 67692 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Arbroath Abbey, Angus This view from the west-south-west, taken in 1996, shows Arbroath Abbey in the centre, with the site of the cloister laid out in red gravel. Below the cloister is the Abbot's House, and to the left the gatehouse range. At the bottom left is the relief road carved through the town in the early 1970s. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was a stated case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1688284

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions