Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Islay, Orsay, Chapel. Aerial view from West.

SC 1683073

Description Islay, Orsay, Chapel. Aerial view from West.

Date 1977

Catalogue Number SC 1683073

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 8509

Scope and Content Aerial view of chapel on Orsay Island, Islay, Argyll and Bute The small islet of Orsay lies just south-west of the Rhinns peninsula of Islay, opposite the village of Portnahaven. The only buildings on the island are the lighthouse built in 1824-5, and these remains of the medieval chapel and burial-ground. Standing at the north of the island, the chapel is now incorporated within an oblong gable-ended building. The western portion is the original chapel, while the rest seems to have been added in the late 18th or early 19th century to create a storehouse. In 1824, the burial-ground was cleared to create a garden for the lighthouse keeper. This was an unsuccessful venture, and the area now serves as a paddock to graze sheep. The enclosing walls date from this period. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1683073

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions