Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view

SC 1676191

Description Oblique aerial view

Date 1991

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1676191

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 69307

Scope and Content Ballachulish bridge from the north-west, Ballachulish, Highland The village of Ballachulish was developed around slate quarries established in 1693. Waste material from the quarries was used to build the nearby harbour. Most of the housing was built in the 20th century by the local council to provide accommodation for quarry workers, although the site ceased working in 1955. This shows the bridge which links South Ballachulish (bottom) with North Ballachulish (top) and was opened in 1975. Settlements grew up around the ferry across Loch Leven, with the larger settlement of Ballachulish itself along the coast near Glencoe. Ballachulish means 'village of the narrows' and relates to its geographical position. Ferry crossings at this point are reported from as early as the 18th century and a vehicle ferry was introduced in 1912. This service ended in 1975 with the opening of the bridge. The large houses on either side of the bridge are hotels that grew up around the ferry, as travellers required shelter whilst waiting to cross the loch. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1676191

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions