Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial photograph showing Gairlochy East and West Locks and Gairlochy Lighthouse, Caledonian Canal

SC 1676133

Description Aerial photograph showing Gairlochy East and West Locks and Gairlochy Lighthouse, Caledonian Canal

Date 1985

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1676133

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 36781

Scope and Content Aerial view, Gairlochy Regulating Lock, Caledonian Canal, Highland, from north-east This shows Gairlochy Lighthouse (foreground) which signals the entrance into the Caledonian Canal (right) from Loch Lochy. Mucomir Cut (left) leads from the loch into the River Lochy which flows parallel with the canal up to Loch Linnhe in the background. The regulating lock (bottom) was completed in 1813 and the west lock (centre) was built in 1844. The River Lochy originally flowed into the loch along part of the route which is now occupied by the canal at the locks. This meant that a new channel (Mucomir Cut) was created in order to link the river with the loch. This channel proved inadequate in 1834 when the river burst its banks and flooded the lock. The regulating lock, already rebuilt in 1826, was rebuilt again in 1843 with the 1844 lock being constructed to the west. The Caledonian Canal was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. It was the first example of a transport network funded by the government in Great Britain. The 96.5km-long canal provides a route for boats travelling between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean as it runs from the Beauly Firth at Clachnaharry, Inverness, to Loch Linnhe at Corpach. Only 35.4km of this length is man-made while the other 61km runs through four lochs: Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. Unfortunately, at 4.2m deep, the canal was too small for most sea-going ships which led to it being altered and deepened between 1844 and 1847. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1676133

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 177) RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Sub-Group Level (551 177/11) 1986 Photographs

>> Item Level (SC 1676133) Aerial photograph showing Gairlochy East and West Locks and Gairlochy Lighthouse, Caledonian Canal

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions