Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aerial photograph showing Gairlochy East and West Locks and Gairlochy Lighthouse, Caledonian Canal

SC 1676125

Description Aerial photograph showing Gairlochy East and West Locks and Gairlochy Lighthouse, Caledonian Canal

Date 1985

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 1676125

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 36773

Scope and Content Aerial view, Gairlochy Regulating Lock, Caledonian Canal, Highland, from west This shows the regulating lock (top), completed in 1813, and the west lock (right), built in 1844. A swing bridge spans the canal at the entrance to the basin from the west lock and the lock-keeper occupied the two-storeyed building with the hipped roof (centre). Gairlochy Lighthouse (top left) guards the entrance to the canal from Loch Lochy and Mucomir Cut (top right) leads into the River Lochy. There has always been a risk of flooding at this point due to the volume of water in Loch Lochy and the close proximity of the River Lochy. In order to reduce this risk Mucomir Cut was created but unfortunately this proved inadequate and in 1834 the river burst its banks. The regulating lock, already rebuilt in 1826, was rebuilt again in 1843, with the 1844 lock being constructed to the west. The Caledonian Canal was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and built between 1803 and 1822 at a cost of £840,000. It was the first example of a transport network funded by the government in Great Britain. The 96.5km-long canal provides a route for boats travelling between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean as it runs from the Beauly Firth at Clachnaharry, Inverness, to Loch Linnhe at Corpach. Only 35.4km of this length is man-made while the other 61km runs through four lochs: Loch Dochfour, Loch Ness, Loch Oich and Loch Lochy. Unfortunately, at 4.2m deep, the canal was too small for most sea-going ships which led to it being altered and deepened between 1844 and 1847. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1676125

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 177) RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Sub-Group Level (551 177/11) 1986 Photographs

>> Item Level (SC 1676125) Aerial photograph showing Gairlochy East and West Locks and Gairlochy Lighthouse, Caledonian Canal

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions