Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of Arbroath Abbey.

SC 1547258

Description Oblique aerial view of Arbroath Abbey.

Date 9/1970

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 1547258

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AN 4601 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Arbroath Abbey, Angus This view from the west-north-west, taken in 1970, shows Arbroath Abbey in the centre, with the gatehouse range in the right foreground, and the remains of the abbey church extending towards the top left-hand corner. To the right of the church is the Abbot's House, with the foundations of the domestic ranges above it. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was a stated case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 5858/CN/2D/8

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1547258

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions