Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of Arbroath Abbey.

SC 1547256

Description Oblique aerial view of Arbroath Abbey.

Date 9/1970

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 1547256

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AN 4599 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Arbroath Abbey, Angus This aerial view from the north-north-east, taken in 1970, shows the abbey in the centre, with the choir, south transept and sacristy to the left, and the long nave with the remains of the west end with its twin towers to the right. The gatehouse range is to the right of the west end, and the Abbot's House above it. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was the case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian Order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 5858/CN/2D/6

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1547256

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions