Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view of Ballone Castle.

SC 1544682

Description Oblique aerial view of Ballone Castle.

Date 9/1969

Collection John Dewar

Catalogue Number SC 1544682

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RC 2550

Scope and Content Ballone Castle from the south-west, Highland Ballone Castle stands on the coast near Portmahomack. It is a Z-plan tower house built in the mid-16th century for the Dunbars of Easter Tarbet and later inhabited by the Mackenzie family from 1623. The castle had fallen into disrepair by the mid-18th century but was fully restored in the 1990s by architect Lachlan Stewart, and is now a family home. This shows the castle before restoration. The building is composed of a central rectangular block with a circular tower to the north-west, and a square tower to the south-east. Below the circular tower are the remains of vaulted cellars added in the 17th century, possibly servant's accommodation and stores. The rectangular enclosure on the shore (right) may have been a garden. Within the entrance in the south-east tower is a guard room and prison. Beyond this are three tunnel-vaulted rooms, probably the original kitchen and wine cellars. The whole of the first floor was occupied by a large hall, which would have been the focus of daily life in the castle. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference 5540/N2

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1544682

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES (John Dewar Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions