Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of front elevation of Spence, Glover & Ferguson Canongate Housing at 3 Brown's Close and 65-71 Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

DP 188681

Description General view of front elevation of Spence, Glover & Ferguson Canongate Housing at 3 Brown's Close and 65-71 Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

Date 5/5/2014

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 188681

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content This shows housing designed by Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson at 65-71 Canongate and 3 Brown's Close, Edinburgh. This is one of three blocks on the Canongate built by the architects for City of Edinburgh Corporation during a period of regeneration and slum clearance in the Old Town during the 1960s. Built between 1961 and 1969, these four-storeyed blocks contained 30 one- and two-bedroomed flats, with shops and a public house on the ground floor. These blocks contain a mix of traditional materials such as the squared rubble section (right) adjoining onto Brown's Close, and harled sections in either beige or red/orange breaking up the facade. At the ground floor, there are echoes of the arcades which were incorporated into many 17th and 18th century building in the Old Town. Here they comprise round concrete columns supporting concrete canopies with arches over the entrance to the rear courtyard. These segmental arches are found elsewhere on the balconies to the east and north (rear) elevations. The blocks have a mix of flat and mono-pitched roofs. Sir Basil Unwin Spence (1907-76) was one of Britain’s most celebrated Modern architects of the post war era, who carried out many housing schemes across Scotland and the UK, and went on to design many prominent buildings recognised around the world. Some of his most well-known works include Coventry Cathedral (1951), Hutchesontown/Gorbals Area C (1958) and the redevelopment of George Square for Edinburgh University (1959 on). From 1964, the Edinburgh-based Sir Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson practice was formed between Spence, John Hardie Glover (1913-94) and Peter Scott Ferguson (1916-69) and continued to operate under this name until 1992.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1424639

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 1) RCAHMS

Group Level (551 1/4) National Survey Programmes

>> Sub-Group Level (551 1/4/8) Urban Survey Programme

>>> Sub-Group Level (551 1/128/26/3) Edinburgh Canongate

>>>> Sub-Group Level (551 1/128/26/3/1) Canongate Historic Core Area of Townscape Character

>>>>> Item Level (DP 188681) General view of front elevation of Spence, Glover & Ferguson Canongate Housing at 3 Brown's Close and 65-71 Canongate, Edinburgh, from SE.

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions