Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh, from S.

DP 158580

Description General view of Bakehouse Close, 146 Canongate, Edinburgh, from S.

Date 24/7/2013

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number DP 158580

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Canongate (or Canongait, the Canon's 'way' or 'route') was a Burgh of Regality granted by the Crown to the Abbey Kirk of Holyrood in 1128. By the 17th century it was in the shadow of its neighbour, Edinburgh. It eventually lost its separate burgh status in 1856. Bakehouse or Hammermen's Close houses Acheson House (left), which dates from 1633 and was built for Sir Archibald Acheson, (c.1580-1634) a London-based MP and Privy Councillor. This house shows the typical backland burgh style, in this case three storeys, with crow-stepped gables, multi-paned sash and case windows. The opening on the left allows access to Canongate and would have been originally created in the 16th century with the three plots that make up the close being united with a stone frontage by the Acheson family.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1345396

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions