Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

6629/CN/A9

BU 610 CN

Description 6629/CN/A9

Catalogue Number BU 610 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 800098

Scope and Content Aerial view of Rothesay Castle, Bute, Argyll & Bute This aerial view from the west-south-west, taken in 1973, shows the original circular curtain wall, with the remains of the four circular towers. The 16th-century forework is to the left. On the east side of the courtyard is the chapel. The castle is surrounded by a moat, a rarity in Scotland. Rothesay was taken by Cromwellian forces in the Civil War, who are said to have dismantled it. What was left was burned in 1685. Successive Marquesses of Bute, hereditary keepers, cleared up the ruins and rebuilt the forework in the 19th and early 20th century, and gave it into State care in 1961. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland and is open to the public. Rothesay Castle was in existence in 1230, when it is recorded as having been taken by Norsemen, who hacked through the wall with axes. It was originally contained within an unbroken circular curtain wall. Later in the 13th century four circular towers were added, and in the 16th century a forework was built. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/117477

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions