General view
BL 21364
Description General view
Date 1911
Collection Records of Bedford Lemere and Company, photographers, London, England
Catalogue Number BL 21364
Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images
Scope and Content St Cuthbert's Parish Church, St Mary's Road, Weirhill, Melrose, The Scottish Borders St Cuthbert's Parish Church, Melrose, originally designed by John Smith and built in 1808-10, was rebuilt in 1911 by the architect, John More Dick Peddie, after a disastrous fire in 1908 destroyed all but the tower. The architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere, was commissioned to photograph the church after its reconstruction in 1911. This Georgian Revival church, with tall round-headed windows set between buttresses carrying a balustraded entablature, is aligned on an east-west axis to the north of Smith's original tower, an impressive four-stage structure topped by an octagonal stone spire. The aisles have flat roofs, the nave has a pitched roof, and the chancel, to the east (right) has a large pediment over an elegant Venetian window. The original church was burned down in 1908 when workmen were repairing the building, but the tower survived. John More Dick Peddie's design for the rebuilding of the church, won as the result of a competition, is not unsuited to the tower and makes the most of its splendid position on the highest point of a ridge some 600m to the west of Melrose Abbey. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference Box 60
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1141227
Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)
Licence Type: Educational
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]