Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Twin staircases

AG 1430

Description Twin staircases

Date 1967

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AG 1430

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 342838

Scope and Content Dun at Kildonan, Kintyre, Argyll and Bute The dun at Kildonan is roughly D-shaped due to the shape of the rock stack it has been built on. It has been excavated between 1936 and 1938 and again in 1984. The resultant finds suggest three phases of occupation. This is a view of the Dun showing the twin staircases. These are on the W side of the structure. They provide access to the top of the walls. The excavations uncovered a rich collection of pottery and metalwork. These indicate three phases of use. The initial construction would have been during the 1st or 2nd century AD. It was reused in the 9th century and again between the 12th and 14th. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference  Inv pl.15b.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/110958

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions