Glasgow, 130 Springburn Road, St Rollox Locomotive Works

Railway Engineering Works

Site Name Glasgow, 130 Springburn Road, St Rollox Locomotive Works

Classification Railway Engineering Works

Alternative Name(s) Caledonian Railway's Locomotive Works; 321- 329 Charles Street; Springburn

Canmore ID 68411

Site Number NS66NW 42

NGR NS 604 666

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (city Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

St Rollox House, 130-132 Springburn Road, 1887, Robert Dundas, engineer

Former St Rollox Railway Works Offices. Long red brick block, with yellow dressings, round-arched windows in pilastered bays, for Caledonian Railway Company. Now occupied by Scottish Enterprise, Glasgow North.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS66NW 42.00 604 666

NS66NW 42.01 60399 66736 South Office

St Rollox Railway Works, 130 Springburn Rd, originally built for the Caledonian Railway in 1856-7, but completely rebuilt in the 1880s under the direction of Dugald Drummond, to designs by Robert Dundas, engineer. The buildings are mainly single storey, with round-headed openings and circular ventilators in the gable ends, and are of red and white brick. The two storey and attic, 3 by 17 bay office block on Springburn Rd was built in 1887 (£3500).

J R Hume 1974

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions