- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Dalry (stewartry)
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Stewartry
- Former County Kirkcudbrightshire
NX68NE 1 6583 8539.
(NX 6583 8539) Lochinvar Castle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)
The remains of an old square tower on an island in Lochinvar - the original home of the Gordons when they came from Berwickshire in 1297 - is still to be seen. It is still possible to see a causeway below the water, one branch leading to the E shore, and another to the shore on the W.
J Barbour 1897
A few vague indications of walling are all that remain, forming a rough rectangle some 48 x 35 ft over walls now very indefinite, about 5 ft in thickness. At the N side of the rectangle, the vestiges bear a rough resemblance to a circular tower about 10 ft in diameter. There are no features of any kind to suggest the antiquity of the building represented by these ruins.
RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911
Lochinvar has been dammed and the water level raised so that the island is submerged. All that can be seen at the site are two tree stumps protruding above the water level.
Visited by OS (TRG) 26 September 1978.
This monument falls within the area of Lochinvar Reservoir (NX68NE 35.00).
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 25 October 2005.