- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Glasserton
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Wigtown
- Former County Wigtownshire
(NX 4263 3583) Port Castle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)
The ruins of Port Castle occupy a strong position on a rocky promontory. The remains of the enclosing walls follow the shape of the peninsula, while the fourth side, built across the neck, completes a rough rectangle, 70' N-S by 85' transversely over 4' thick walls. At the NE angle the outer walls are reduced almost to ground level, but slight indications remains of a rectangular building formed within the angle. Near the centre of the N wall is a rough opening, possibly originally the main entrance. The N wall curves to meet the W wall, which stands 5' high. What seem to be a modern wall lies parallel to the W wall, forming an enclosure. The whole building is ruinous and featureless, which makes dating impossible.
RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911
Generally as described. In NW angle are the footings of a rectangular building measuring internally 5.2m by 4.2m with no entrance in its NE side. The remains do not constitute a castle, merely a walled enclosure, with two small buildings (of uncertain date) in opposing angles.
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (DWR) 18 January 1973