Country House, Hospital (first World War), Tower House
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Glasserton
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Wigtown
- Former County Wigtownshire
NX43NW 13.00 42816 36663
NX43NW 13.01 NX 43024 36659 Walled Garden
NX43NW 13.02 NX 42905 36608 Gardener's Cottage
NX43NW 13.03 NX 42987 36617 South Walled Garden
NX43NW 13.04 NX 42925 36631 Stables
NX43NW 13.05 NX 43280 37299 Lodge
(NX 4281 3665) Physgill House: A 3-storey house of 17th century origin, with an 18th century front. Garden: Stone wall, 14' high.
SDD List 1960
Physgill is one of the principal buildings in Glasserton parish. In 1684 it must have been an early 17th century tower-like structure. Nothing of that building has survived, unless it is an abnormally thick wall embedded in the basement of the N face of the present house. In 1725, the castle and close of Physgill is mentioned in a lease, so it appears that at that time the tower stood within a walled enclosure. Architecturally, the date of the N wing of the present house dates to c.1780, the year when its owner died, so the building was not completed; the E frontage, dating to c. 1789, being of entirely different
W Macfarlane 1907; R C Reid 1952
As described, no early structure remains. No further information.
Visited by OS (DWR) 23 January 1973.