- Council North Ayrshire
- Parish Ardrossan
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Cunninghame
- Former County Ayrshire
c. 224 439
Formerly also entered as
A battle axe, Codford St Peter group (F E S Roe 1967) was ploughed up in 1864 on top of Montfode Braes (name NS 224 439) near the remains of several ancient forts (presumably ). It is of grey stone, with a small boss on either side, and is 4.6ins long. It was on loan to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS L.1956.2) but is now in Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum under accession number LA 6436c.
R W Cochran-Patrick 1873; NMAS Loan Accession Index.
The exact find spot was not ascertained during field investigation.
Visited by OS (JLD) 7 September 1956
This battle-axe has been classified as a grooved example of Intermediate-Developed form. It has been petrologically attributed to group XXVIII (quartz dolerite from various sources in Scotland and Northern England) or, possibly, group XVIII (quartz dolerite from the Whin Sill of Northern England).
T H McK Clough and W A Cummins 1988.
Site recorded during an archaeological evaluation, comprising a desk-based assessment and field inspection conducted in October-November 1994 along the proposed corridor of the A78 Ardrossan Bypass.
NS 224 439 battle-axe find-spot (known site).
A report will be deposited with the NMRS.
Sponsor: Roads Directorate of The Scottish Office Industry Department, managed on its behalf by Historic Scotland.
J E Hamilton 1995.