Church Of Logie
Church (13th Century)
Site Name Church Of Logie
Classification Church (13th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Logie, St Martin's Church, Logie Montrose; Mains Of Logie
Canmore ID 36341
Site Number NO76SW 1
NGR NO 70556 63518
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36341
- Council Angus
- Parish Logie Pert
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Angus
- Former County Angus
NO76SW 1.00 70556 635218 Church
(NO 7055 6352) Church of Logie (NR)
OS 6" map (1959).
NO76SW 1.01 70561 63505 Churchyard
For present parish church of Logie Pert (NO 6658 6432), see NO66SE 46.
The church of the former parish of Logie dedicated to St Martin in 1243 and exhibiting several periods of construction.
The oldest part is the SE gable which is definitely 13th century and may well be part of the original church. It has three narrow lights and mason marks. The SW wall is later and of different periods but with a pre-Reformation window next to a built-up round-arched doorway. The NE wall is in two portions, the north being of comparatively late date, and the NW gable is modern dated 1857 when the whole fabric of the church was restored. Both the church and its small circular graveyard show marked evidence of neglect.
The church continued in use after the union of the parish of Logie with that of Pert in 1661, but was abandoned in 1775 when the new church for the combined parish was built.
A Jervise 1861; J D Gilruth 1939.
Logie church is roofed and intact but no longer in use. The burial ground is still in use.
Visited by OS (JLD) 25 June 1958
Scheduled as Church of Logie... the remains of the medieval parish church of the former parish of Logie Montrose, as restored in 1857.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 19 November 2003.
NMRS REFERENCE
As described by OS S.H 15th April 1978
Lunan List 28, no 233
See NMRS paper catalogue Tayside, Angus L-M for rubbing of mason's mark on small corss on NE conrer of Logie Church.
Field Visit (April 1978)
Logie NO 705 635 NO76SW 1
The parish of Logie was merged with that of Pert in 1661 and the church, which was dedicated in 1243, continued in use for a considerable period thereafter. The church shows several periods of construction and there is evidence of 13th-century and later medieval work. A major rebuilding took place in 1857 but the whole building is now threatened by the decay of the roof.
RCAHMS 1978, visited April 1978
(Gilruth 1939,49-52)
