Loanhead, Mayshade House, Sundials
Site Name Loanhead, Mayshade House, Sundials
Alternative Name(s) Ashgrove House
Canmore ID 300348
Site Number NT26NE 184.2
NGR NT 27870 66401
NGR Description Centred NT 27870 66401
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Midlothian
- Parish Lasswade
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District Midlothian
- Former County Midlothian
NT26NE 184.02 Centred NT 27870 66401
Four sundials have been recorded at Ashgrove House, formerly Mayshade House:
1. Horizontal sundial on carved round plinth, c. 1755, listed, NT26NE 184.01 (MS 5741/9/20).
2. Horizontal sundial on square plinth, no date (MS 5741/9/21).
3. Cube with horizontal on top, date given as 1703 (MS 5741/5/12) .
4. Cube with 'cherubs' heads', 1736 (MS 5741/5/13).
The listed one, thought to be contemporary with the house, has been sited separately, NT26NE 184.01.
(Anne Cassells, 10 September 2009, updated 04 March 2010).