Fountainhall To Lauder Branch Railway, Allanshaugh, Railway Bridge, Bridge No. 2
Site Name Fountainhall To Lauder Branch Railway, Allanshaugh, Railway Bridge, Bridge No. 2
Classification Railway Bridge
Alternative Name(s) Allan's Haugh; Fountainhall; Gala Water
Canmore ID 277312
Site Number NT44NW 73
NGR NT 43208 49616
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Stow
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
- Former County Midlothian
Not to be confused with
This bridge formerly carried the North British Rly's branch line (the Lauder Light Railway) to Oxton and Lauder (off the Waverley Route) to Oxton and Lauder over the Gala Water. The branch apparently opened on 4 August 1848, but closed to regular passenger traffic on 12 September 1932.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 November 2005.
G Daniels and L Dench 1980.
NT44NW 73 43208 49616
A single arch skew railway bridge is situated adjacent ot the A7 trunk road at Allanshaugh. A stone built bridge with brick arch and a parapet in moulded stone with diagonally placed linesmans recesses. The recesses have wrought iron guard rails which have three uprights and curved tops. On the N side of the bridge, between the bridge and the Still Burn is brick revetting on the bank. The brickwork on the lower part of the arches has been angled to account for the skew of the bridge. The bridge is heavily overgrown with vegetation on the deck. The bases of the arches have been rebuilt in concrete.
The bridge carried the Lauder branch railway across the Gala Water after traversing the Gala Water valley on a rising gradient via an embankment from Fountainhall railway junction. Immediately following the bridge was a level crossing, now removed across the A7.
The bridge ceased use in 1958 with the closure of the branch railway to freight traffic.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, JM), 25 August 2009