Oban, Mccaig's Tower

Folly

Site Name Oban, Mccaig's Tower

Classification Folly

Alternative Name(s) Mccaig's Folly

Canmore ID 23056

Site Number NM83SE 38

NGR NM 86105 30230

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Ordnance Survey licence number 100020548. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2015
View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmore And Kilbride
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

86105 30230

Architecture Notes

National Library.

Country Life, 31st October 1941 - letter and photograph.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Monumental ring of Bonawe granite dominating the town, located at Duncraggan Road, Battery Hill. John Stuart McCaig (died 1902): banker and self-styled art critic and philosophical essayist. Building begun 1895. Left unfinished 1900. Two tiers of 94 pointed arches. Originally intended to feature 100-foot tower and statues of McCaig's family.

F A Walker 2000

Circumference: 200 metres. Now landscaped. Built partly to provide winter work for local stonemasons.

A Lorne Gillies 2000.

Events

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions