Tillyfourie Hill
Quarry (Period Unassigned)
Site Name Tillyfourie Hill
Classification Quarry (Period Unassigned)
Alternative Name(s) Bogmore Wood
Canmore ID 152595
Site Number NJ61SW 112
NGR NJ 6457 1284
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/152595
- Council Aberdeenshire
- Parish Monymusk
- Former Region Grampian
- Former District Gordon
- Former County Aberdeenshire
NJ61SW 112 6457 1284
See also NJ61SW 113-15.
Quarry (disused) [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1972.
This large, disused granite quarry, which is situated high up on the S face of Tillyfourie Hill, was opened up in the late 19th century, succeeding older, smaller scale workings (NJ61SW 113-115) lower down the S and SW flanks of the hill. The workings are long abandoned and are now enveloped within a coniferous forest.
The quarry and its spoil-tips are first depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, 1901, sheet lxiii.SE), which also shows the disposition of buildings, including a smithy, and narrow-guage tramways. The quarry was linked to the Alford section of the Great North of Scotland Railway by a narrow gauge track which descended the S face of the hill on the line of the present track.
Information from RCAHMS (JRS), 23 November 1999.
