Inverness, Friars' Street, Dominican Friary
Burial Ground, Friary
- Council Highland
- Parish Inverness And Bona
- Former Region Highland
- Former District Inverness
- Former County Inverness-shire
NH64NE 12 6643 4556.
(NH 6643 4556) Greyfriars Church [NR] (Remains of)
OS 25"map, Inverness, (1868)
Grey Friars Church...Ruin.
Name Book 1868.
Traditionally, the Dominicans or Black Friars, and the Franciscans or Grey Friars had each an establishment here but it was destroyed by Cromwell and the stones carried off for the erection of a citadel at the north of the town. The only remains is the shaft of one of the columns which supported the church which traditionally was connected with the Grey Friars Monastery occupying the space now used as a burial ground.
W R Macdonald 1902.
In 1233, King Alexander II founded a convent at Inverness not of Franciscans or Grey Friars as erroneously handed down by oral tradition, (Spottiswood) but of Dominicans or Black Friars.
Statistical Account (OSA) 1793.
All authorities are agreed that the order of the Black Friars was founded at Inverness in 1233.
F T Macleod 1911.
Dominican Friars, Inverness: This house whose dedication was to St. Bartholomew was founded by Alexander II in or before 1240, and was destroyed or secularized before 1566.
The date of the foundation of this house is not known. The Franciscan Friars. Supposed Foundations, Inverness. The idea that there were Greyfriars here is due to confusion with the Black friars.
D E Easson 1957.
All that remains of the Black Friars' Monastery is an octagonal column of ashlar masonry 0.7 m in diameter with the remains of the springing of an arch 2.4m above ground level. The total height of the column is c. 3.5m.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 April 1960.
Continuing the work carried out previously (Farrell 1997), a photographic survey to enhance a number of sites which had previously been partly recorded was conducted, including:
NH 6643 4556 Greyfriars, Inverness.
A full report is lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsor: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
S Farrell 1998