Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peterhead, Invernettie Seaplane Base

Seaplane Base (First World War)

Site Name Peterhead, Invernettie Seaplane Base

Classification Seaplane Base (First World War)

Canmore ID 107269

Site Number NK14NW 148

NGR NK 12800 44670

NGR Description NK 12800 44670 and NK 12320 84120

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/107269

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Peterhead
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (5 June 2013)

The Peterhead seaplane station was established in 1918 to provide repair and storage facilities for the operational seaplane station a short distance to the south, on the Loch of Strathbeg. Peterhead was also used for operational flights when the level of the Loch of Strathbeg dropped below a safe depth.

The Peterhead base partly occupied a land area of 3.6 hectares of re-claimed ground largely made up of granite debris and rubble,which came from the Admiralty yard for the construction of the “harbour of refuge”, at the southern end of Peterhead Bay. An area of foreshore to the NW of the base was included within the boundary of the station. The breakwaters of the harbour provided a large area of sheltered water for seaplane landings.

In 1918 the Peterhead base was to comprise one seaplane shed measuring 61m by 30.5m, with a workshop in an annex measuring 61m by 6m, and stores for parts, fuel and ammunition. The establishment of the base was 77, of whom five were women, to be accommodated in buildings located in a separate area to the north, on the site of a former brickworks. Completion of construction work was estimated to be complete at the end of December 1918, but it is not clear whether the base was completed before it was abandoned in 1919.

Smith (1983), quoted in the Canmore record, is in error when he states that the area of the base is now occupied by the prison. It is under the depot built to seaward of the prison.

Nothing remains of the base.

D J Smith 1983; Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 31 May 2013

Archaeology Notes

NK14NW 148 c. 128 445

A seaplane repair and store base was opened in 1918 on an E-facing foreshore site within the area now occupied by the prison NK14NW 149.

D J Smith 1983; NMRS, MS/712/8.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions