Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Back to search

A dyke used to separate the agricultural land of a township from rough grazing.


Related Terms

Term Note
BOUNDARY DYKE A dyke that indicates the limit of an area or a piece of land.
CROSS RIDGE DYKE A linear earthwork, usually a bank accompanied by a ditch, which runs across rather than along an area or ridge of higher ground.
TOWNSHIP A group of dwellings, associated farm buildings and land, held by two or more joint tenants usually working the land communally.
TREB DYKE A prehistoric linear earthwork, found only in the Northern Isles. Linked Data resource