Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Gretna Hm Factory Eastriggs Factory, Acids Section, Acids Compound, Building

Building (First World War)

Site Name Gretna Hm Factory Eastriggs Factory, Acids Section, Acids Compound, Building

Classification Building (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Hm Factory Gretna Site 3

Canmore ID 374994

Site Number NY26SW 38.21

NGR NY 25045 65011

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/374994

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dornock
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Activities

Field Visit (12 May 2022)

Canmore ID: 374994

NY26SW 38.21

NY 25045 65011

Nothing is visible of this building, the S part of which is largely situated under the modern road, but also partly under Explosives Magazine R11 (NY26NW 46.12).

The building is shown to have been located within the Acids Compound on the plan of the works (MMW 1919, plan) given in the report by the Ministry of Munitions of War outlining the processes involved in the manufacture of the cordite propellant during the First World War at H.M. Factory, Gretna (Site 3).This factory was established by the Ministry of Munitions of War during the First World War. It was rectangular on plan and measured about 15m from WNW to ESE by 4m transversely. A ground-based, contemporary official photograph taken after construction (MUN 5-297 pt5 717) held at the National Archives at Kew illustrates the character of the building. It was a single storey, brick-built structure with a slate-ridged roof and at least three skylights. In addition, there were possibly more than three doors opening onto a veranda in the SSW elevation and a single window in the ESE gable.

This building formed part of lot 508, which was offered for sale by auction on 22-5 July 1924 (HM Treasury 1924, 101, item 6), when the lot was partly purchased by J.M. Temple, Black-hills, Eastriggs and partly by Messrs James Jackson & Co Ltd, St Vincent Street, Glasgow (Car-lisle City Archives, DX 2040/3). After its removal from the site, only the foundations of it were left and these are readily visible on an aerial photograph (M124/13 04117) flown on 19 August 1940.

Visited by HES Heritage Recording (MMD and ATW), 12 May 2022.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions