Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Portpatrick, New Station

Railway Station (19th Century) - (20th Century)

Site Name Portpatrick, New Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century) - (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Portpatrick Station

Canmore ID 254770

Site Number NX05SW 79

NGR NX 00282 54465

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/254770

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2024. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Portpatrick
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NW95SE 79 00282 54465

For continuation of the line down to Portpatrick Harbour, see NW95SE 9.00.

For Old Station (NX 9965 5422), see NX05SW 10.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Depicted on 2nd edition OS map, surveyed 1893, published 1896, sheet 22

Railway dismantled.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Portpatrick Station (Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Rly): this station was opened (by the Portpatrick Rly) on 28 August 1862. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 6 February 1950.

R V J Butt 1995.

The successessive station at Portpatrick formed the termini of the Portpatrick branch line from Stranraer Town Station (NX06SE 170). It closed to regular passenger traffic with the line as a whole.

Butt does not seperate the two stations (NX05SW 10 and NX05SW 79 at Portpatrick); it remains unclear at what date the new station replaced the old.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 March 2006.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980.

On 28 June 1862, a representative of the Galloway Advertiser and Wigtownshire Free Press noted a newly-finished platform, a sunstantial 'engine house', a commodious goods shed and a small station house at the 'high' station. This was presumably the permanent 'new' station.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 16 March 2006.

D L Smith 1969.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions