Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Cramond Road South, Lauriston Castle, Sundial

Sundial (17th Century) (1684)

Site Name Edinburgh, Cramond Road South, Lauriston Castle, Sundial

Classification Sundial (17th Century) (1684)

Canmore ID 129169

Site Number NT27NW 1.02

NGR NT 20291 76070

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/129169

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Field Visit (3 December 1920)

MISCELLANEOUS. The following articles were brought from the house of Cartsburn, Greenock, by Mr. T. M. Crawfurd when he bought the present property in 1871, and his house at Cartsburn was demolished:

(1) [NT27NW 1.02] A "lectern" sundial (Fig. 56 [SC 1125014]), of which the upper portion, inscribed 1684, alone is original. It contains 26 dials, and stands on the lawn south of the Tower.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 3 December 1920.

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (23 September 2003)

Multi-faceted sundial set on a double stone plinth. Four vertical gnomons are set in recessed hollows. Six non recessed gnomons are placed randomly.

Inspected By : Joan M. Kennedy.

Inscriptions : On top of sundial: 1684

Signatures : None

Design period : 1684. Pillar is late 19th century.

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1275)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions