Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Corgarff Church

Church (19th Century)

Site Name Corgarff Church

Classification Church (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Corgarff Church Of Scotland

Canmore ID 119965

Site Number NJ20NE 38

NGR NJ 27929 08315

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/119965

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Strathdon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Corgarff Church was built in 1834, by Sir Charles Forbes, Bart., who donated the funds for the mission at Corgarff. It is still in use today, as part of the parish of Upper Deeside.

The rectangular church is built in the Gothic style reminiscent of medieval churches. The west wall is windowless, but the four panelled windows on the eastern wall all contain original glazing.

Within the church, Greek Doric columns support a horseshoe-shaped gallery.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Recording Your Heritage Online

Church of Scotland, Corgarff, 1834, Mr Daniel. Rewarding Gothic rectangle in squared rubble with four, fine, pointed windows with original glazing on east side (cf Smith's Keig), the west side blind and, inside, horseshoe gallery carried

on Doric columns.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ20NE 38 27929 08315

Church [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1972.

[Corgarff] Church. In 1834 a new church, manse and offices were built at the expense of Sir Charles Forbes, Bart. for the mission of Corgarff.'

OS Name Book.

(Presbytery of Alford). The parish of Corgarff was disjoined from Strathdon and Tarland, 9 March 1874.

H Scott 1915-61.

This church is in a good state of repair and remains in regular use as part of the (conjoined) parish of Upper Donside

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM, JRS,), 29 July 1997.

Architecture Notes

NJ20NE 38 27929 08315

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Mr Daniel

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Built 1834 (Mr Daniel). Rewarding Gothic rectangle in squared rubble with four, fine, pointed windows with original glazing on E side, the W side blind, and, inside, horseshoe gallery carried on Doric columns.

I A G Shepherd 1994.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (31 July 2015)

NJ 27931 08315 A Level 1 standing building survey was carried out on 31 July 2015 of this 19th-century church prior to its conversion to housing. It was constructed in 1834–5 of pink granite. Windows were blocked in the late 19th century when a new gallery was constructed.

Archive: National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE)

Funder: Mr J Home

Alison Cameron - Cameron Archaeology

(Source: DES, Volume 16)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions