Lewis, Stornoway Harbour, New Ferry Terminal
Ferry Terminal (20th Century), Plaque (21st Century), War Memorial (21st Century)
Site Name Lewis, Stornoway Harbour, New Ferry Terminal
Classification Ferry Terminal (20th Century), Plaque (21st Century), War Memorial (21st Century)
Alternative Name(s) Merchant Navy And Mercantile War Memorial; Ss Norge Memorial Plaque
Canmore ID 118896
Site Number NB43SW 32
NGR NB 4247 3264
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/118896
- Council Western Isles
- Parish Stornoway
- Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
- Former District Western Isles
- Former County Ross And Cromarty
Arnish Point Lighthouse, Alan Stevenson, 1852 Stevenson's last lighthouse had the novelty of being the Northern Lighthouse Board's first prefabricated lighthouse, built of iron lined with timber, with keepers' cottages to the north west. It stands sentinel over Stornoway Harbour, built c.1780-5, though Knox observed in 1786 that no quay was being used and that vessels loaded and unloaded on the beach. By the turn of the 18th century a sea wall had been built to allow for the development of North Beach and Cromwell Street as proper thoroughfares. Under the proprietorship of Sir James Matheson, who founded the Stornoway Pier and Harbour Commission in 1865, a new pier by D. T. Stevenson had been built on South Beach by 1851, extended to serve a regular steamer service in the 1880s, and a dock with steam-operated patent slip, stone and concrete quays such as Esplanade Quay, and timber wharves constructed. Castellated ramparts went up along the west side of the harbour to define the policies of Lews Castle. By the turn of the century, a concrete breakwater was completed, while in the 1930s reinforced concrete wharves were built in front of North Beach and Esplanade Quays, and the inner harbour deepened. By c.1940 all original harbour works had been replaced. New Ferry Terminal, Wylie Shanks and Hamilton McWiggan Partnership, 1998 An octagonal landmark suggestive of the old fish mart (1897, demolished 1972) on a large area of reclaimed land which has greatly altered the character of Stornoway's harbour front.
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
NB43SW 32 4247 3264
For (predecessor) Old Ferry Terminal (NB 4326 3269), see NB43SW 31.
For Stornoway Harbour (centred NB 4228 3260) and associated buildings, see NB43SW 19.00.
NB43SW 32 4247 3264
This new roll-on roll-off ferry terminal serves the Caledonian MacBrayne ferries to and from Ullapool, as well as cruise liners. The complex includes a new pier, and a terminal building built in the style of the Old Fish Mart (previously situated next to the Marine Building at the old terminal). The new terminal opened in June 1997, shortly after which RCAHMS carried out a photographic survey.
Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), 5 June 1997.
