Dundee, Caird Park, Mains (St Ninian's) Church
Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval)
Site Name Dundee, Caird Park, Mains (St Ninian's) Church
Classification Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval)
Alternative Name(s) Mains Old Parish Church; Strathdichty Parish Church; Stradichty Parish Church
Canmore ID 33473
Site Number NO43SW 17
NGR NO 41103 33069
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33473
- Council Dundee, City Of
- Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District City Of Dundee
- Former County Angus
NO43SW 17 41103 33069.
(NO 4111 3307) Mains Church (NR) (rems of)
OS 6" map, (1969)
The parish church of Mains, dedicated to St Ninian in 1242. The only part now remaining is the S transept, used as a burial vault of the Grahams. There are three simple lancet windows on the S gable end with over it a beautifully sculptured fragment representing the Annunciation. A sundial of more recent date than the building is carved on the SW corner.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; A J Warden 1880-5.
The S wall of the vault is original; the rest is modern. The triple-light Gothic window is now boarded up and the masonry broken and the sculptured fragment has been removed. There is no other trace of the church, its area being covered with grave-stones.
Visited by OS (J L D) 17 April 1958.
A medieval graveslab from Mains Parish Church, bearing an incised calvary cross and the arms of Robert Graham and Janet Lovell, is now in Dundee Art Galleries and Museums.
Mudie and Walker 1964.
The burial vault has been demolished, the walls having been reduced to a maximum height of 0.5m.
Information from RCAHMS (IFr, 7 December 2004).