Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tealing

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Site Name Tealing

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Souterrain (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 33350

Site Number NO43NW 1

NGR NO 41218 38167

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33350

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Tealing
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO43NW 1 4121 3816.

(NO 4121 3816) Earth-house (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959).

This souterrain was accidentally discovered during agricultural operations in 1871. It is curved in plan, and the inner end is rounded; it appears to have been divided into two compartments at AA and CC, and is c 80' long. Its greatest width is 8 1/2', 5' from the inner end, and its maximum height is c 6'4". The sloping floor, where it is not

natural rock, seems to havee been paved. Finds included charcoal, animal bones, a piece of Samian ware, a bracelet, bronze rings, cinerary urn fragments, 10 querns, whorls, and remains of stone cups. It was not known in 1932 where these finds were, but in 1940, a fragment of Roman glassware from here was donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS Accession no. FR 547).

Built into the N wall of the entrance passage, 2' from the doorway, is a cup-and-ring-marked stone measuring 3' by 2', and there is also a cup-marked stone 12' S of the entrance. It measures 4'6" x 2'6" x 6".

A hut circle lies just N of this stone.

When field investigated in 1958, Tealing Earth-house was found to be as described above, in a good state of preservation, and protected by a MoW enclosure fence. The two cup-and-ring marked stones mentioned were still in situ, but it was not possible to locate a third stone, described by

J R Allen 1881) as being in the E wall of the main chamber of the structure, with some apparently artificial scratching on it; nor was the hut circle found.

A Jervise 1875; J R Allen 1881; W A Thorpe 1940; J Curle 1932; A Young 1938.

The glass is from a 1st-2nd century 'pillar-moulded' bowl and the Samian is possibly 2nd century.

A S Robertson 1970.

Activities

Field Visit (11 July 1943)

Earthhouses, W of Tealing House.

Only one earthhouse can now be seen where two are marked on the 6" OS map, and no second one is known locally. This is presumably the one planned and described in PSAS (). When the Inventory Survey is made, this point should be verfiied by taking a large-scale tracing of the published plan to the site for comparison.

Visited by RCAHMS (AG) 11 July 1943.

Aerial Photography (September 1970)

Oblique aerial photographs of Tealing souterrain, Angus, taken by John Dewar in September 1970.

Publication Account (1987)

Accidentally discovered in the course of agricultural operations in 1871, this site, cleared out with some care and subsequently enclosed for protection, displays many of the classic features of an Angus souterrain: a long curved passage, an expanded end and a constricted doorway. The excavations were recorded by Andrew ]ervise, the eminent Angus antiquary, though not undertaken by him; he mentions several interesting features including the discovery of fallen roofmg slabs within the passage. The souterrain measures about 24.3m in length, 2.3m in average breadth, and the corbelled walls still stand to a height of 2m, with large boulders fonning the basal course and rather smaller horizontally-laid blocks above. The finds, although now lost, formed an interesting assemblage, including domestic debris such as animal bones, broken pottery and quem stones as well as fragments of Roman pottery and glass (the latter less certainly associated); the Roman fmds are oflst or 2nd century AD date.

Near the entrance there is a large boulder decorated with cup-and-ring markings, which forms the lowest course of the wall on the north side.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Fife and Tayside’, (1987).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions