Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Treshnish Isles, Lunga, Dun Cruit

Dun (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Structure (Period Unassigned), Wall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Treshnish Isles, Lunga, Dun Cruit

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Structure (Period Unassigned), Wall(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 21669

Site Number NM24SE 1

NGR NM 2760 4206

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21669

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM24SE 1 2760 4206.

(NM 2760 4206) Dun Cruit (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Remains of walls are distinctly traceable on Dun Cruit, an inaccessible stack off the W shore of Lunga. The name means, "Pictish fort". When occupied, the probability, if not certainty, is that the approach was by means of a drawbridge across the narrow gully to the E.

E Beveridge 1903.

Detailed investigation of this stack was not possible due to its inaccessibility, but around its landward side there are traces of a crude stone wall, about 60m long and up to three courses high. The only habitable area of the stack, on the landward side, contains several grassy platforms, but no structures were identified.

Visited by OS (D W R) 6 May 1974.

Dun Cruit is a conspicuous rocky stack, roughly D-shaped on plan, which is separated from the coastal cliffs on the W side of Lunga by a chasm about 6 m wide. The seaward face of the stack, forming the chord of the D, is a sheer precipice more than 40 m high, but the summit falls steeply from the NW to the SE, and on the side facing the island the cliffs range from about 15 m to 20 m in height. The S portion of the summit is, however, more gently sloping than the rest, and in this sector there are intermittent traces on the edge of the cliff of a rudely built stone wall which survives as a largely grass-covered bank of stony rubble about 1.5 m thick and not more than 0.6 m high. The date and purpose of this feature cannot be ascertained from superficial observation but it is most unlikely that it represents the remains of a fortified structure, as suggested by Beveridge (E Beveridge 1903).

RCAHMS 1980, visited 1974

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions