Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Carfin Tile Works

Date 1 November 2013

Event ID 966190

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/966190

Carfin Tile Works

Named as 'Tileworks' on 1st edition 6-inch Ordnance Survey Map (Lanarkshire, (survey) 1859, sheet XII) centred on NS76903 58578.

Depicted and named 'Clay Pit' (NS76886 58520), unnamed clay pit (NS76877 58597) and 'Kiln' (NS76904 58614) and four roofed buildings, three of which on the site of the later Carfin Brickworks (NS76811 58615; NS76821 58636; NS76830 58622, NS75NE 49.00).

By 1897, the tileworks clay pit at NS76886 58520 had been abandoned and the kiln and L-shaped building (at NS76877 58580) demolished, as have the other three roofed buildings on the Carfin Brickworks site (2nd Edition Ordnance Survey 6-inch map, Lanarkshire, (published) 1899), sheet XII.SW).

Information from MS/500/53/11 (compiled 1981) and RCAHMS (MMD), 1 November 2013.

People and Organisations

References