Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Field Visit

Date May 1970

Event ID 1176455

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1176455

NM 900 423. This crannog is situated below high-water mark on the S shore of Eriska, about 275 m E of the bridge that links the island to the mainland. It is represented at present by a seaweed-covered stony mound some 20 m in diameter and not more than 1 m in height, the centre of which is disfigured by spoil-heaps and a partly-filled trench associated with the unfinished excavation of 1884 (PSAS, xix (1884-5), 192-5).

The investigation then undertaken revealed that the crannog had rested on a circular timber substructure, about 18'3 m in diameter, the bulk of which consisted of roughly-dressed horizontal beams, radially disposed, with a certain amount of brushwood towards the centre, while the perimeter had been defined by at least one row of beams laid circumferentially. Superimposed on this was a layer of stones and clay 0'9 m in depth, from the surface of which charcoal, ashes and some burned animal bones were recovered, but no artifacts of any kind.

There is no evidence to suggest that the crannog was ever linked to the island by means of a causeway.

RCAHMS 1975, visited May 1970.

People and Organisations

References