Field Visit
Date 26 August 1993
Event ID 1149040
Category Recording
Type Field Visit
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1149040
NY26NW 4.01 2304 6596
The site of the medieval parish church of Dornock, which stood within its burial-ground on the edge of the escarpment overlooking the Solway estuary, is probably indicated by an area of relatively level ground measuring about 20m from E to W by 9m transversely, some 10m S of the present church (NY26NW 4.00), which dates from 1793.
Close to the probable position of the E gable there is a low turf-covered mound of unknown origin, while, immediately to the E of it, there are three recumbent coped stones which are probably of 12th- or 13th-century date. The northernmost is severely worn and earthfast. The other two, which have both been propped up, are decorated in relief, each face being divided into four panels. On each stone, one panel bears a cross contained within a qatrefoil, the remaining panels being filled with stylised winged figures. Of these two, the N slab has decorated end-panels, respectively a design of long-stemmed vine-scroll fronds, and a cross defined by four rings; the S slab bears upstand probably of a hog at either end although the end-panels are shorn flush. Beneath, and used to support the decorated hogbacks, there are four Romanesque fluted cubic capitals and an Early English capital which is probably of 13th-century date. These capitals are almost certainly from the medieval church on the site and may be window- or door-openings, or perhaps from a tower (where they may have served as balusters).
Within the burial-ground there are many 18th-century gravestones. The bell, dated 1616, is in the church at Boness-on-Solway (England).
Visited by RCAHMS (IMS, PC), 26 August 1993.