Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 18 June 1914

Event ID 1102906

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


Dun Borranish (Dun Cuithach), Uig Bay.

On a tidal islet rising about 7 feet above high-water mark, some 20 yards from a southerly projecting promontory at the east side of Uig Bay, about ½ mile south by east of Uig Manse, is the much dilapidated Dun Borranish, or Dun Cuithach as it is sometimes called from a mythological giant, who, after oppressing the country, was slain by the Fians. The remains of the building, which are now a tumbled mass of stones, measure 49 feet all over from north-north-east to south-south-west ,and 43 feet from west-north-west to east-south-east. The entrance seems to have been on the north-north-west. Very little of the outer facing of the wall remains in position, but a section towards the north-north-east, which is straight, suggests that the building has been D-shaped. On the side facing the shore some not wholly ruined wall gives a thickness of 9 feet, but there is no trace anywhere of galleries. The dun is connected with the land by a causeway, 70 feet in length and 7 feet broad, which is laid obliquely across the intervening sand.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 18 June 1914.

OS map: Lewis xxiii.

People and Organisations