Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from WNW showing NNE and WNW fronts

SC 783396

Description View from WNW showing NNE and WNW fronts

Date 5/1971

Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 783396

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Tramway sub-station, Milngavie Road, Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire This shows the sub-station from the north-north-west, looking along Milngavie Road, which was widened to accommodate a double line of tram rails. The building is clad in red sandstone, and given an architectural treatment in keeping with the hoped-for residential development of the surrounding area. The Milngavie service was cut back to Maryhill in 1956, as part of a programme of cutting back tramway services prior to complete closure in 1962. The sub-station lay empty for some time before being converted into a public hall, as seen here, with little change to its external appearance. This sub-station was built in 1924 by Glasgow Corporation Tramways Department to provide current for the extension of its tramway system from Garscube Bridge to Milngavie. It originally housed two 500-kilowatt rotary converters to deliver direct current at 600 volts to the overhead wires. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/45/9


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions