Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Back to search

A building located at the gateway or entrance to an estate, park or other enclosed area of land.


Related Terms

Term Note
COUNTRY HOUSE A rural residence or mansion.
ESTATE An extensive landed property, usually in the country.
ESTATE OFFICE An office for the administration of a town or country estate.
FISHING LODGE A building used by fishing parties, often located on an estate.
GARDENERS LODGE A building for the use and accommodation of gardeners. Usually set in the grounds of a large house or estate.
GATE A moveable structure used to allow or prevent passage through an opening, usually in a wall, fence or other barrier.
GATEHOUSE A gateway with one or more chambers over the entrance arch; the flanking towers housing stairs and additional rooms. Use with wider site type where known.
GATEWAY A substantial structure supporting or surrounding a gate. May be ornate or monumental, and have associated structures such as lodges, tollbooths, guard houses etc..
LODGE A small building, often inhabited by a gatekeeper, gamekeeper or similar. Use specific type where known. Linked Data resource