Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Back to search

A pen, often circular and stone-walled, for impounding livestock.


Related Terms

Term Note
GATHERING FOLD A structure comprising an outer forecourt formed by funnelling walls that give access to one or more open enclosures or folds with adjoining cells. Used to separate ewes and lambs overnight, the lambs being housed in the adjoining cells and the ewes gathered for milking.
PEN A small, open enclosure used for animals. Use more specific term where possible.
SHEEPFOLD An enclosure for collecting, sorting and controlling sheep.
STOCK ENCLOSURE An enclosure used to hold livestock. Linked Data resource