Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.


Back to search

A stone- or concrete-faced enclosure, with entrance closed by a floatable caisson or by gates, which can be pumped dry for inspection, maintenance or repair of hull or underwater fittings.

Related Terms

Term Note
GRAVING DOCK A dry dock where the hulls of ships are repaired and maintained.
SYNCHROLIFT A structure used in a dry dock to raise vessels by means of a cradle. Linked Data resource