Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Galashiels, Station Brae, Galashiels Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Galashiels, Station Brae, Galashiels Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway

Canmore ID 99782

Site Number NT43NE 100.01

NGR NT 49471 36156

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99782

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Galashiels
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Selkirkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT43NE 100.01 49471 36156

Nothing could be seen on the date of visit of Galashiels station amongst large scale development works .

The station opened in 1849 as part of the Edinburgh to Hawick Branch Railway. The station was expanded when the Edinburgh to Peebles to Galashiels loop was completed in 1867 and the Selkirk branch which opened in 1856.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), July 2006; R J V Butt 1995

Architecture Notes

NT43NE 100.00 49471 36156

NT43NE 100.01 NT 4943 3622 Signal Box.

NMRS REFERENCE:

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) describes 'Galashiels Station (railway)' as Built with stone and having the usual railway travelling conveniences (waiting rooms etc), within it and sheds etc for goods attached'.

The station was enlarged between the dates of the OS 1st edition 6-inch map (Roxburghshire, 1854, sheet iii) and the 2nd edition of 1899 to include additional sidings and platforms after the completion of the Peebles Loop line..

Name Book 1854

Station opened 20/2/1849

Station closed 6/1/1969

The station building, platforms and all associated structures have been removed, the site is now being developed.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions